Google and Viacom settle long-running copyright dispute over YouTube

Managing IP is part of Legal Benchmarking Limited, 1-2 Paris Gardens, London, SE1 8ND

Copyright © Legal Benchmarking Limited and its affiliated companies 2026

Accessibility | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Modern Slavery Statement

Google and Viacom settle long-running copyright dispute over YouTube

Google and Viacom have reached an agreement that ends seven years of copyright litigation over Viacom’s claims that its programmes were posted on YouTube without permission

The dispute stems from 2007, when Viacom filed a $1 billion claim against YouTube and others. The parent company of networks including Nickelodeon, MTV and Comedy Central accused Google of broadcasting 79,000 unauthorised videos on YouTube between 2005 and 2008.

The terms of the settlement were not disclosed but Reuters reported that “a person close to the matter” who was not authorised to discuss the deal said no money exchanged hands.

In April last year, Manhattan District Judge Louis Stanton dismissed Viacom’s lawsuit against the video sharing site, ruling that it was protected by DMCA safe harbors. 

Today’s agreement ends Viacom’s appeal of that decision to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in New York. Oral arguments had been scheduled for March 24.

“Viacom's argument that the volume of material and ‘the absence of record evidence that would allow a jury to decide which clips-in-suit were specifically known to senior YouTube executives’… combine to deprive YouTube of the statutory safe harbor, is extravagant,” wrote Judge Stanton.

In a joint statement, the companies said: “Google and Viacom today jointly announced the resolution of the Viacom vs. YouTube copyright litigation. This settlement reflects the growing collaborative dialogue between our two companies on important opportunities, and we look forward to working more closely together.”

YouTube was acquired by Google for around $1.65 billion in 2006.

more from across site and SHARED ros bottom lb

More from across our site

While the firm lost several litigators this month, Winston & Strawn is betting that its transatlantic merger will strengthen its IP practice
In other news, Ericsson sought a declaratory judgment against Acer and Netflix filed a cease-and-desist letter against ByteDance over AI misuse
As trade secret filings rise due to AI development and economic espionage concerns, firms are relying on proactive counselling to help clients navigate disputes
IP firm leaders share why they remain positive in the face of falling patent applications from US filers, and how they are meeting a rising demand from China
The power of DEI to swing IP pitches is welcome, but why does it have to be left so late?
Mathew Lucas has joined Pearce IP after spending more than 25 years at Qantm IP-owned firm Davies Collison Cave
Exclusive survey data reveals a generally lax in-house attitude towards DEI, but pitches have been known to turn on a final diversity question
Managing IP will host a ceremony in London on May 1 to reveal the winners
Abigail Wise shares her unusual pathway into the profession, from failing A-levels to becoming Lewis Silkin’s first female IP partner
There are some impressive AI tools available for trademark lawyers, but law firm leaders say humans can still outthink the bots
Gift this article